Establishment of Sharjah Institute for Heritage
Sharjah Institute for Heritage was established by Emiri Decree No. 70 of 2014 issued by His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qassimi, Member of the Federal Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah. The Institute has the legal personality and the full capacity to carry out the legal acts necessary to achieve its objectives.
Sharjah Institute for Heritage (SIH) is one of the cultural foundations in the government of Sharjah. The real work has started with the serious and systematic interest in the Emirate of Sharjah since June in the year 1995, although the actual work of heritage has begun in the Emirate of Sharjah since the beginning of the eighties of the last century.
The location of Sharjah Institute for Heritage is in Sharjah University City.
Sharjah Institute for Heritage aspires to be a center of cultural and scientific radiation characterized by excellence and innovation in all its fields so as to serve the Emirati and Arab cultural heritage. This is to be in harmony with the vision and the directives of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qassimi, Member of the Federal Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah, May God bless him!.
The Sharjah Institute for Heritage works through a set of practices, programs and activities on preservation and transport of intangible cultural heritage, as well as protecting and preserving the cultural and natural heritage. It is involved in organizing projects of conservation practices, documentation, digital archiving, scientific publishing, human and technical consultation and support, honoring experts at the local, national and regional levels, and enhancing international cooperation through partnership with individuals, institutions and organizations concerned with cultural heritage.
- Exercising scientific thinking.
- Supporting the values of pluralism, dialogue and tolerance.
- Adhering to the ethics of the profession.
- Preparing cadres of the Emirati, the Gulf, and the Arab researchers who value the field work, and who are keen on the conservation of their cultural heritage.
- Organizing field surveys in order to enumerate, document, and serve the cultural heritage.
- Conducting researches and studies according to the scientific curricula of the Arab heritage.
- Linking the researches and the studies to the current events in order to take examples and lessons to be followed from heritage.
- Preparing the distinguished researchers and experts who are able to perform organized work to preserve the cultural heritage.
- Participating with the community who are the real foundations in what ensure the preservation of the cultural heritage.
- Consolidating the scientific links and ties, and exchanging the expertise with the scientific foundations all over the world.
- Interacting with the scientific experiments and the world expertise in the field of the cultural heritage.
- Setting up programs and events that are going to improve the projects of cultural heritage.
- Description of practical procedures and techniques used in different sections of cultural heritage.
- Creation of innovative ideas inspired by heritage.
- Academic qualification for the completion of master and doctoral thesis in one of the fields of cultural heritage, popular cultural and scientific branches.